Farina township was laid out in 1878 at Government Gums, as the most northerly point on the new railway extension from Port Augusta.
Farina is the Latin word for flour. This reflects the hopes that people had at the time that this would be the centre of a wheat growing region.
A local joke at the time was that the next two towns to be laid out should be called ‘Bran and Pollard’.
- Arkaroola Wilderness Sanctuary – http://www.arkaroola.com.au/